Defib Phone Box


The defibrillator is in the old telephone box outside the Village Hall, on Church Lane. The cabinet is lit up at night so that you can find it easily in the dark.

Heart Attack:
If someone isn’t breathing, call 999 and tell the operator that there is a public access defibrillator in the village.  THE OPERATOR HAS THE CODE TO UNLOCK THE CABINET, you can’t access the defibrillator without this code!

Get someone to help you, one person should administer chest compressions whilst the other goes for the defibrillator.  If there is only one of you, chest compressions are more important; Press down in the centre of the chest, twice a second to about 1/3 of the depth of the chest. Keep this up until paramedics tell you to stop!


To obtain the code to open the defibrillator safe, you must ring emergency services.
If you have trouble locating the defibrillator, emergency services have a village contact who will help you find it.
At the cabinet, put in the code you have been given and use the handle to open the door.  Inside is an orange bag which contains the Defibrillator and pads, take them to the casualty.

The unit delivers an electrical shock so make sure neither you nor the casualty are touching water (puddles).
Turn on the unit by pressing the green button, and follow it’s spoken instructions.
Apply the pads as directed and the unit will decide whether a shock is necessary – you can’t shock someone unnecessarily.
If the casualty’s heart is in fibrillation a shock will be administered – keep everyone clear of the casualty during the shock.
If the unit decides not to deliver a shock, continue chest compressions anyway until the paramedics arrive and tell you to stop.

Further Information

From a mobile dial 112 for emergency services.
Read this document to understand why: 112 Number

What to do in an emergency situation.
This document has life-saving advice: Public Access Defibrillator

Grit Bins & Dog Waste Bins

Grit bins are purchased from Bucks County Council for £450 each, which includes a full bin of salt and restocking according to TfB priorities.   Maintenance or replacement of the bins is also included but please note that we don’t get a say in the design or colour of the bin!

Grit from these bins is for use on the Public Highway only.  Anyone may access the Grit and spread it over icy patches on the road or pavement, but it is NOT for use on your private driveways.  TfB are responsible for the grit in these bins, and should you be caught using the grit on private property, they consider it Theft.

If you notice that a grit bin has been damaged or is low on grit/empty, please let the Clerk know; email clerk@granborough.org

In order to help dog owners to dispose of dog mess responsibly, Granborough Parish Council provide dog waste bins in various locations around the village.  We have a contract with Street Scene, to empty them weekly and sanitized them once every six months.

Humans can catch Toxocariasis which is an infection caused by parasitic roundworms found in dog faeces.  Children are most at risk of catching the infection, which in extreme cases may lead to blindness.  Cattle are also at risk from Neosporosis, an infectious disease which causes abortion in cattle.
Please protect our village by disposing of dog faeces responsibly.

If you notice a problem with any of our bins, please email clerk@granborough.org

Thank you for using these bins!

Grit Bins

A Google Map has been embedded on this page and is a 3rd party provided service and may not be fully accessible. If you require further help with getting location information please contact us.

Dog Waste Bins

A Google Map has been embedded on this page and is a 3rd party provided service and may not be fully accessible. If you require further help with getting location information please contact us.
Street Light

Street Lights

To Report A Problem:

Please contact the clerk by email or call 01280 823116  with the following information;

  • Road Name
  • Light Number (will be displayed on the column) OR nearest House Name/Number
  • Your Contact Details

The Clerk will report the problem to E.on who will send out an engineer. Usually the engineer can fix the light on their first visit. This is not an instant service, it can sometimes take the engineer 5 days to attend, and they may not have the appropriate equipment to fix the light immediately.

The Council would be most grateful if you could let The Clerk know when the light has been fixed – this saves a car journey at night to check.  Thank you!

Issues we are currently aware of:

As far as we are aware, all lights are working properly